SEN Information Report
Slideshow 2
Slideshow 1

Local Offer

Bader Primary School’s Local Offer gives information for parents, carers and people who support pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). It outlines the support and provision parents and carers can expect to receive for a child with SEND. All Stockton schools are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible development within school.


Mr D Hodgson (Head Teacher) 

Mrs A Douthwaite (SENDCo)
Tel: 01642 762865
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


What Roles and Responsibilities Do Staff Have in Supporting My Child?

Who is the best person to speak to about my child’s difficulties with SEN at Bader Primary School?

Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo)

Responsibilities include:

  • Co‐ordinating SEND support within school including developing the school’s policy to ensure that all children with SEND get a consistent, high‐quality response to their needs.
  • Liaising with external agencies within school to support with children with SEND (Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language, CAMHs, Occupational Therapist etc)
  • Updating the school’s SEND register and monitoring the SEND Tracker.
  • Providing support and advice for staff in supporting children with SEND. 
  • Ensuring that parents are involved in:
    • supporting with their child’s learning
    • reviewing their child’s progress
    • planning ahead for their child

Class teacher

They are responsible for: 

  • Checking the progress of your child ‐Identifying, planning and delivering any additional support your child may need.
  • Monitoring delivery of additional support from other staff within school.
  • Ensuring that the SEND Teaching and Learning Policy is followed within the classroom setting.

Head teacher

They are responsible for: 

  • The day to day management of all aspects of school including the provision and support provided for children with SEN within school.
  • They will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • Keeping the governing body up to date about any SEN issues within school.

SEN Governor and Chair of Governors

They are responsible for: 

  • Making sure that any additional support required for children in school with SEND is provided.


What intervention can my child receive?

Identification and intervention are essential when supporting a child with Special Educational Needs. The SEND children at Bader will receive support that is personalised and specific to meet their individual needs. 

Assess, Plan, Do, Review

Provision for children with special educational needs is a matter for the whole school. This includes the governing body, the school’s head teacher, the SEND co-ordinator and all members of staff, particularly class teachers and teaching assistants. All teachers are able to differentiate to meet the needs of children with special educational needs. At Bader we aim to follow the recommendations of the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle outlined in the SEND Code of Practice (2015).

  1. Assess

School-based assessment procedures are a continuous and systematic cycle of planning, action and review, developed in a way to enable the child with special needs to learn and progress. Assessment is seen as a natural extension of the school’s approach to assessment generally and the meeting of the needs of all pupils. 

  1. Plan

When a child has an identified special educational need, the SENDCo and class teacher will use this information to:

  • Provide starting points for the development of provision required to support the child.
  • Identify and focus attention on action to support the child within the class.
  • Use the assessment processes to identify any learning difficulties, referring to the school Educational Psychologist, where necessary.
  • Ensure ongoing observation and assessments providing regular feedback about the child’s achievements and experiences. This will inform the next steps of learning.
  1. Do (Early Intervention)

At Bader, we recognise that the earlier a pupil’s needs are identified the more successful interventions are likely to be. The school procedures are responsive to and supportive of such early intervention.

What is provided?

Quality First Teaching

High Expectations ‐ Teachers have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class. 

Planning for Progression ‐ All teaching is based upon building on what your child already knows, can do or can understand. 

A wide range of learning opportunities - Children are given the opportunity to learn in different ways. These include independent learning, collaborative learning and kinaesthetic learning. 

Specific strategies - Teachers to use specific strategies suggested by external staff (Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language therapist, Occupational Therapist and Local Authority Advisers) to support your child’s learning.


Within School Intervention 

Should you wish to discuss interventions, please discuss with the class teacher. 

Early Years /Foundation Stage 

At Bader, children can start school at 2 years old and attend our two-year-old base. We recognise the importance of early language and communication therefore this is a focus for the Early Learners Provision. 

Nursery Narrative – Nursery narrative encourages children to talk and improves communication. 

Blast – This develops language in young children. 

Reception Narrative – Moves on from Nursery Narrative and develops speech and language skills.

Key Stage One and Two 

Specialist Reading Teacher ‐ Within school we have a trained Reading teacher who works in supporting children in all stages of their reading. Our reading teacher works with both individuals and groups to support children with all aspects of reading.

BRP ‐ BRP is a reading intervention to support children in Years 2‐6. It encourages fluency and understanding of the text. Your child would work 1:1 for 20 minutes 3 times a week. 

FFT ‐ Family Fisher Trust is a combined reading and writing intervention. Your child would be supported 1:1 or 1:2 for 30 minutes 4 times a week. 

Lexia -  Lexia is a programme designed to support children’s reading and spelling. It is computer based and children can access it within school and at home. Lexia is an independent learning tool, however, it is closely monitored by the class teachers and SEND team. 

Springboard - Springboard is a Maths based intervention program that addresses children’s gaps in learning from previous years. This aids the child in catching up with their peers and makes it possible for them to access their year groups maths lesson.

Play Therapist- Our play therapist offers 1-1 play therapy sessions.

Theraplay- Theraplay is aimed at building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. It is based on the natural patterns of playful, healthy interaction and is personal, physical, and fun.

Lego Therapy- Lego Therapy is designed for use with autistic pupils. Lego-based therapy (LeGoff et al 2014) is an evidence-based approach that aims to develop social communication skills, such as sharing, turn taking, following rules, using names and problem solving.

Precision Teaching- Children work in small groups with a teaching assistant to target specific areas of difficulty, this could be in reading, writing or maths.

Keyworkers- Many children with SEN benefit from having a designated person to check in with on a daily basis.  This helps to support and develop the children’s confidence and well-being.

Motor Skills United- An easy-to-use fun filled programme, designed to develop all areas of motor and perceptual development.


Who can receive this level of support?

Any child who has specific gaps in their learning.


External Interventions

Should your child need intervention from an external agency then we will discuss this with you and there may be permission forms to sign. If you feel your child may need this support but you have not yet been approached, please contact the SENDCo or your class teacher. 

Educational Psychologist - At Bader, we have an educational psychologist who comes in to support once per month. The EP observes children and recommends next steps to class teachers and parents. This includes referral to CAMHs, evidence for an Education, Health and Care Plan assessment, evidence for high needs funding and strategies for the teacher to use in class. 

Speech & Language - At Bader Primary School, there is access to a Speech and Language therapist working at Bader for half a day weekly. This supports children with speech and language difficulties. This includes understanding of speech. 

A Way Out – A Way Out is a charity sponsored by Children in Need to support children and parents with emotional needs.

Play Therapist-  Our play therapist works closely with teachers and our PSA to identify and support children with their SEMH needs.


Who can receive this level of support?

Children who have specific barriers that cannot be overcome by quality first teaching and intervention groups.

  1. Review

Any interventions taking place will be assessed and reviewed to ensure that they are having a sufficient effect on a child’s progress.  Any necessary amendments will be made and a new cycle will begin.

Parents will be involved at all stages.


Education, Health and Care Plans

The school, or yourself, can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process with further information found on the Stockton SEN’s Local Offer: 

Local Authority Local Offer

After information has been gathered from school and any external agencies, the Local Authority will then decide whether they think your child’s needs warrant a statutory assessment. Should your child require an EHCP this will come in draft form initially to allow you to check that you are happy with the provision outlined. This will then be formalised.


Who can receive this level of support?

Children with severe, long‐term and more complex needs.


How are teachers in school supported to work with SEN and what training do they have?

The SENCo’s job is to support teachers in planning for children with SEN. The school has a SEN professional learning log and action plan. Staff are encouraged to request support for those children that are not making as much progress as expected or if they feel they need emotional support.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the specific needs of their class.


How will teaching be adapted to meet my child’s needs?

Quality first teaching will mean that teachers adapt to all children’s needs within their class. Teaching Assistants will support your child’s needs within the classroom when required. Technology is available to support your child alongside specific strategies and plans that have been devised.


How will your child’s progress be measured?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her teacher and the Senior Leadership Team. This happens termly, through pupil progress meetings. His/her progress is reviewed formally every term against age‐related expectations. The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education invited to attend.


What support is available as a parent with a child with SEND?

At Bader, we hold two parent consultations a year. However, should you require further meetings these can be arranged on request. Those children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities often have at least one meeting per half term where necessary.

Stockton Local Authority offer an information and advice service to answer any questions you may have. 

Stockton Parent/carer forum- offer advice and guidance for parents of children with SEND.S SEND and their families are being


How will we support your child in promoting self‐esteem?

Throughout school we teach SMSC as part of the curriculum. Place2Be support is available for any children or parents with anxieties or concerns. Place2BE support is also available to support teachers for children in their class with low self‐esteem.

A parent counselling service is also available for parents that wish to use it.

Likewise, ‘A way out’ provides mentoring for children and parents on request through the SENDCo.


How have we made Bader a supportive environment accessible to children with SEND?

We ensure that any equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. All children have access to working walls, which give them additional information and strategies to use when they need it. At Bader we also value collaboration so children are encouraged to talk with one another and help each other in their learning. Various technology is available to support children with their learning. 

Where appropriate, children are placed in smaller classes so they can have additional support. Likewise, teaching assistants work with groups of children to address gaps in their learning and give them a boost. 

Children that need additional resources, such as coloured overlays, pencil grips, visual timetable or slope board, are given access to them and monitored to measure impact. 

We offer a variety of after school clubs e.g. music and movement, gardening, choir, circuit training, netball, craft club, football etc. Our clubs are accessible for all children.

Staff use visual timetables when children in their class need them.


How will we support your child when transition to another area/school?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be very difficult for children with SEN. We aim to make the experience as easy as possible for them. 

If your child is moving to another school: ‐

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support needed for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. 

When moving years in school: ‐

  • Information about your child will be shared with their new teachers.
  • If your child would be helped by a personalised plan for moving to another year, we will put this in place.


Complaints Procedure

Complaints about SEN provision in our school should be made to the class teacher/SENCO/headteacher in the first instance.  They will then be referred to the school’s complaints policy.

This policy aims to reassure that any concern or complaint raised will be dealt with in a fair, open and responsive way with the aim of achieving a speedy and satisfactory resolution. The school recognises a willingness to listen to questions and criticisms and to respond positively and in a way in which improvements can be made to school practices.


The parents of pupils with disabilities have the right to make disability discrimination claims to the first-tier SEND tribunal if they believe that our school has discriminated against their children. They can make a claim about alleged discrimination regarding:

  • Exclusions
  • Provision of education and associated services
  • Making reasonable adjustments, including the provision of auxiliary aids and services



SEN Information Report will be reviewed annually

Review date March 2021